Schools For Troubled Teens
As one of the leading schools for troubled teens, Solstice East provides a nurturing, supportive environment for teen girls ages 14-18. Our program integrates sophisticated therapeutic programming with an accredited boarding school environment. We help students who have struggled in the past with a traumatic event. Therapeutic staff are specifically trained in trauma-focused techniques in order to address the challenges our students face.
At Solstice East, we treat the entire individual not just a specific “problem area”. Our holistic therapeutic approach allows us to get to the root of the challenge. For example, if your daughter has started experimenting with alcohol, she may be doing so in order to cope with trauma or anxiety. In that case, instead of merely treating substance use, we address what is causing those behaviors.
For teens struggling with trauma, we provide a variety of trauma-focused therapeutic techniques including:
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Trauma-Focused Equine Assisted Psychotherapy
- Gender-specific addictions treatment
Academic Programming at Solstice East
Upon arrival, many students come into our program with a history of academic struggle. Whether this is a relatively recent or something that has been going on for years, it is usually one of the first things parents are concerned about. We also help girls who have been doing perfectly fine in school but have struggled in other areas of their life. As one of the leading schools for troubled teens, our program meets teens where they are at in the academic process.
Our academic program provides teens with:
- Small class sizes: Unlike other boarding schools for girls, class sizes are purposefully kept small with no more than 10 girls per class to allow more individual attention and hands-on learning. Our average class size is around 6 students.
- Individualized support: Our academic program operates year-round, offering five 10-week terms in which students can earn a full quarter-credit in each class. These shorter terms and flexible scheduling can help students to catch up academically. In addition, independent study courses are available for students interested in taking classes specific to their needs.
- Integrated therapy and academic programming: At Solstice East, we have put a great deal of effort into developing an academic program that is fully integrated with our clinical program. Our experience in treatment boarding schools for girls has shown us those teens that start to succeed academically experience a great boost in their motivation in other areas of their lives. Students begin to feel good about themselves again by experiencing an increase in self-confidence and self-efficacy, which in turn has a very positive impact on their clinical progress and family relationships.
- Assistance with Different Learning Styles: Each student has an Individualized Academic Plan. This plan shows the student’s academic goals and objectives The document is one that the team, teachers, parents, therapist, and student, can access to help to clarify what strengths and challenges and action plans within the classroom. Students who need additional support with academic and organizational skills can receive tutoring within the school day as well as one-on-one tutorial sessions.
Solstice East helps families from the following states:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts,Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont,Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming